About Mr. Divis:
Mr. Divis has been teaching Social Studies at BFUHS since 2004. With a B.S. in Secondary Social Studies Education from Miami University, including minors in History and Political Science, Mr. Divis has a sincere interest in learning and teaching about the world, specifically German, Russian, Chinese, and Sub-Saharan African culture and history.
At BFUHS, Mr. Divis serves as the Social Studies Department Coordinator, along with teaching World Cultures, World History II, AP European History, Senior Seminar, and other courses. He also serves as a member of the BFUHS School Improvement Team, the BFUHS Literacy Committee, the WNESU Social Studies Curriculum Committee, and chairs the school’s NEASC Instruction Committee and co-chairs the school’s Action Plan Literacy Committee. Mr. Divis has also coached Scholars’ Bowl, Freshman Boys Basketball and Varsity Girls’ Tennis at BFUHS.
Mr. Divis also works with the Governor’s Institutes on Asian Cultures, and has presented workshops at educational conferences at the state, national, and international level, including the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) annual conference, the National Council for History Education (NCHE) annual conference, and the South African Society for History Teaching (SASHT) annual conference.
Mr. Divis was honored as the 2010 Vermont Teacher of the Year. He
has also been recognized as a Fulbright Distinguished Teacher, which sent him
to study and research in South Africa during the 2011-2012 school year (check
out his blog here).
Outside of school hours, Mr. Divis enjoys reading, hiking (Mt. Kilimanjaro in July 2008 and Machu Picchu in June 2010), traveling, and listening to music.
-Why I Teach-
In October 2010, the Pearson Foundation hosted a special day-long workshop for Teachers of the Year in New York City, where we were asked to conceive, perform, and edit a short statement called "Why I Teach." Here is my video:
Mr. Divis in Germany in June 2009
2010 Vermont Teacher of the Year
WCAX announcement of the 2010 Vermont Teacher of the Year (Sept. 2009)
The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching program put together these videos of my experience in South Africa during the 2011-2012 school year to get the word out about the program and its value for teachers. This is a great overview of what I was up to during my time in South Africa, including the work and research that I was doing and the value it has had on my teaching.
Other related news articles:
- Eagle Times, "BFUHS Teacher to Study in Namibia this Summer" (May 23, 2005)
- Brattleboro Reformer, "Teacher Yearns to See the World" (Oct. 31, 2008)
- Eagle Times, "Teacher Selected for German Trip" (May 19, 2009)
- The Rutland Herald, "Divis Passionate About Teaching" (Oct. 4, 2009)
- The Shopper, "Craig Divis Earns Holocaust Studies Award" (May 5, 2010)
- The Commons, "The Changing Role of Education in a Global Society" (Aug. 25, 2010)
- Eagle Times, "BF Teacher, Former Student Among Visitors to China" (Oct. 9, 2010)
- The Message, "BFUHS's Divis Wins Fulbright Grant" (June 23-28, 2011)
- Eagle Times, "Teacher Headed to South Africa on Fulbright grant" (June 25, 2011)
- The Miamian, "These Teachers Know How to Cut Through the School Daze" (Summer 2011)
- Nick Ip's Teacher Top 5 (2013) - featured in Chapter 23 in this newly published book